Monday, December 12, 2011

Violins of Plymouth first post!

The Violins of Plymouth blog begins here.....

Time out from violin making for the "first blog post" describing the first ten years of my violins and violas. Blogspot looks good for a blogging tool. I have lots of photos of fiddles in various states of fabrication. And lots of help in digital photography and blogging. Many friends expect this blog and are interested in specific instruments! Your suggestions and questions will help as there are so many pithy topics.

Violins are about 500 years old in western Europe. As they were introduced and became capable, virtuoso players performed and great composers wrote! Violin design progressed to meet new requirements and to utilize better materials, all good blog topics!

Now, which blog topics should I include? Maybe, how and why I started. What space and "shop tools" did I need? What materials including wood and varnish should be used? Next, how do I choose a candidate reproduction. What is an early violin? Which makers are interesting? How do I match oil finishes? Arching? F-holes? Scrolls? What strings should be considered?

Stay tuned for lots more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment